I’ve been working hard on this taco salad recipe. I love taco salad and a fast-food taco salad without the shell can set a gal back by up to 22 Smart Points! That’s almost my entire daily Smart Points allowance. Instead of saying no to taco salads, I decided to try my hand at creating a recipe that’s only 3 Smart Points. It’s easy to make and takes 5 minutes to cook so you can have dinner or lunch ready by the time you’re stomach starts growling.
Taco Salad Recipe
3 Weight Watchers Smart Points
Serves: 6 people (1/2 cup serving of taco meat mixture each)
- 16oz Jennie-O Ground Turkey, Lean, ground and brown – 15 Smart Points
- 1⁄2 cup(s)cooked onion(s) – 0 Smart Points
- 1⁄2 packet McCormick Seasoning Mix, Gluten-Free, Taco – 2 Points
- 1 head(s)chopped romaine lettuce, chopped – 0 Points
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped – 0 Points
- 2 Tbsp fat-free salsa, optional – 0 Points
- 1 oz fresh mozzarella cheese – 3 Points
- Chop the onion
- Brown the ground turkey and onion
- Add the taco seasoning mix
- Mix and simmer for 1 minute
- While simmering, chop the lettuce and tomatoes
Serve a ½ cup of the taco meat mixture on top of a bed of lettuce and tomatoes. Add fat-free salsa and sprinkle a few pieces mozzarella cheese on top for garnish.
You can omit the cheese if you want to. The reason why I sprinkle the cheese top of the salad is because I feel like taco salad needs to have cheese. If I don’t include it, then I feel like I’m missing out. By using the cheese as a garnish, I satisfy my “need” for cheese. Because I’m not using a lot of cheese, the Smart Point value is low.
This taco salad recipe is only 3 smart points. It’s a great healthy substitute for that taco salad you just have to have.
Do you have a favorite taco salad recipe? What else would you add to my recipe? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.