Creating a healthy egg salad recipe takes patience and a lot of trial and error. I love egg whites. They’re so full of protein and don’t require many of my Weight Watcher Smart Points. When I stumbled upon Trader Joes Egg White Salad for only 1 Smart Point, I had to buy it. It’s amazing; so tangy, with just the right amount of spices. But, at the $3.99 per tub price, I knew I needed to try my hand at replicating the recipe. I got pretty close with what I had on hand and my recipe makes about twice what the Trader Joe’s brand yields for only 1 Weight Watchers Smart Point. Here’s what I did.
Healthy Egg Salad Recipe
- Egg whites – 6
- Chobani Plain Greek Non Fat Yogurt – 1/4 cup
- Yellow Mustard – 2 tsp
- Chopped celery – 1/2 rib
- Dill pickles – 1 tbsp
- Sea Salt – 1/2 pinch
- Minced Onion* – 1 tbsp
*I didn’t have chives on hand so I used minced onion. If you use chives I think the healthy egg salad recipe will match Trader Joes much better.
- Cut the egg whites into small pieces and place them in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the mustard, sea salt, and onion or chives.
- Add the mixture to the egg whites.
- Add the pickles and chopped celery.
- Chill and serve cold.
I noticed that my healthy egg salad recipe didn’t turn bright yellow like the Trader Joe’s recipe. I didn’t see any yellow dye in theirs so I suspect it was due to the type of mustard powder they used or perhaps the turmeric gave it a brighter yellow shade than mine. Never the less, I wasn’t a fan of the bright neon color anyway. The next time I make it, I’ll be sure to have some chives on hand. As much as I loved this copy cat healthy egg salad recipe, I’m confident that it would be better with chives instead of minced onion. But, hey…a girl’s gotta use what she has on hand.
I also didn’t use any sugar or sweeteners because I am trying to reduce added sugar. I bet if you add a touch of sugar that this recipe will be killer. Just less healthy.
The weight watchers points on this recipe is 1 Smart Point for the entire bowl. It yields twice what the Trader Joe’s recipe yields.
Healthy Egg Salad Recipe Cost Breakdown
The egg white salad at Trader Joe’s cost was pretty steep in my opinion. But, if you’re hurting for time, it’s worth it.
- Eggs – $7.50/for 7 1/2 dozen at Sams Club – .10 each
- Mustard – .99/bottle – .01
- Pickles – 3.99/gallon jar – .10 each pickle
- Celery – .99/bunch – .10 each rib
- Yogurt – $4.98/32 oz tub – .32 for 2 oz
- Salt – likely on hand – .01
- Minced Onion – .99/bottle at the dollar store – .05
- Total = .87 for twice what you get at Trader Joe’s. So really it’s only 44 cents vs. the $3.99 tub at Trader Joes. Plus, you never have to worry about your healthy egg salad recipe being recalled.
Healthy Egg Salad Recipe Printable
I made a printable of the healthy egg salad recipe. Please share it with your friends! I hope you find it useful. If you try this out and make it better, please add your modifications in the comment for everyone else to try. If you’re looking to start the Weight Watcher’s plan, here’s the top post on my blog for finding the best deal. If you’d like a printable Trader Joes shopping list with Weight Watcher’s Smart Points, I’ve developed that too.