Being free is the last step in our Badass life journey. Sounds simple and easy, doesn’t it? What exactly is freedom? Is it the chance to slack off, come in late, and do nothing all day long? Probably not.
In fact, you may find that you spend more time doing what you love and helping others along the way. You might spend a little more time at work, writing your book, blog, or coaching someone to be better than they are today. You begin to perfect your craft, and find that you complete your work in record time with unsurpassed quality. You no longer watch the clock because you love what you’re doing. You may even choose to gift your time to others in the form of teamwork, coaching, or friendship. A selfless act that you do with joy and purpose, because you finally realize that you are FREE.
The second that I made a choice to be the gal God wanted me to be, things started to change for me. I began speaking in front of my classes and conferences with joy. I began connecting with my students, understanding their struggles, and creating creative ways to help them learn what they needed to know in order to be successful in their careers. I began writing my materials with purpose, and executing them with passion. I began to be free.
Freedom doesn’t mean that I get to do anything I want. In fact, it often means that I get more responsibility at work, that I wake up at 5:30 am to write a blog post, or that I stay behind to help someone who needs a little boost. It simply means that I get to do work that makes me happy. I get to learn new things. I get to have opportunities to help others to be successful. This freedom brings me joy that radiates, and often leads to strange looks and questions from people I don’t even know. I am blessed.
Being Free: Break Your Chains
What’s holding you back? Is it the voice in your head that says you’ve wasted years and thousands of dollars? Is it the person who mocks your dream? Or is it really just you? The five steps below will set you on a path to discover your badass life, and truly live it. They are:
- Fall “in like” with your situation—Being “in like” with your situation, your job, your life is a choice. It’s looking through the window knowing that it’s cracked, but realizing that you can still see through it. The window isn’t perfect, it’s broken, but it works enough for now. Be in like with your journey, but realize that you’re not done yet.
- Prepare for the opportunity—Create a strategy through activities related to your goal. They don’t have to be expensive. They can be as simple as reading books and blogs, volunteering, or more formal education. Whatever path you chose, do it now.
- Snag it when it presents itself—Preparing for the opportunity is one thing. Combining your knowledge, intuition, and faith helps you identify when the opportunity is right in front of you. Be open to opportunities because they’re ready for the taking. Life’s too short. Have no fear.
- Change your mindset—Clear your mind, ask questions, research, learn, take educated risks, and force yourself to take steps on the path you want to be on instead of pretending like you already know how to get there. There’s a learning curve, so cut yourself some slack.
- Be free—You begin to perfect your craft, and find that you complete your work in record time with unsurpassed quality. You no longer watch the clock because you love what you’re doing. You may even choose to gift your time to others in the form of teamwork, coaching, or friendship.
Read the previous 5 posts if you’d like more details behind each of these steps. Otherwise, take sometime now to think about how you can implement these 5 Badass steps and live the life you’ve always dreamed of. You have the steps; now it’s time take the first one. Be You. Be Free. Be Badass.